A discussion is like a chat that takes part in the Discussions tab of a project or task. The conversation stays with the project or task and becomes part of its record. A discussion offers some of the benefits of chatting as well as some additional advantages.
Unlike chatting, you don’t select the participants in a discussion. All team members (if they’ve enabled email notifications) are automatically notified of the discussion and can take part. (If the discussion is for a task, we also notify task followers.)
You can add a file to a discussion, and all team members can view the file and comment on it. Each discussion and reply includes the date and the people who have seen it. Messages in a discussion can be edited, but not deleted. Any team member can start and reply to a discussion.
- If you’ve got an issue related to a project, start the discussion in the project view. If it’s related to a task, start the discussion in the task view.
- We recommend that a discussion focuses on a single topic concerning a project or task. Have another issue to discuss with the team? Start another discussion.
- To notify a user that they’re mentioned in a discussion, precede their name with @.
- To include a link to a project, project section, or task in a discussion, precede the name with #.
Starting a discussion for a project or task:
- Select a project or task.
- Click the Discussions tab.
- Type your message and or attach a file.
- Click Post.