Aside from creating tasks in the Projects and Tasks section, there are few different to create tasks outside of BasicOps. In this article, you learn how to create a task by email, Gmail add-on, and Slack.
Creating a task by email
There are two ways to create a task by email, one is through the Project section and the other is through the Task section. Depending on the section you are in and what link you copy will determine where the task gets placed. While both procedures are the same, each link is unique to the project or section.
- Click the action button (3 dots) next to the project title.
- From the dropdown, click Add Task by Email.
- Click Copy Link to Clipboard.
Note: The example below shows the option in the Project section. To add a task outside a project, go to the task section and follow the same steps.
- Go to your email.
- Start a blank email.
- In the To line, paste the Task link.
- In the Subject line, enter a name for the task.
- In the body section, enter a description (optional).
- Attach any files to the email (optional).
- Click Send when done.
Note: It may take a few seconds for the task to show up in BasicOps.
Creating a task by Gmail add-on
If you find yourself consistently creating emails into tasks, the BasicOps Gmail add-on is available in the G Suite marketplace. The Gmail add-on is an easy and quick way to convert your Google emails into tasks.
Note: You must have a Gmail email address to use the BasicOps add-on.
- Go to G Suite Marketplace and install BasicOps task & project management for Gmail.
- Log in to the Gmail associated with your BasicOps account.
- Go to your Gmail.
- Open an email.
- Then, click on the BasicOps icon on the right side.
- The window will automatically fill in your email's content in the appropriate lines. You can edit any of the task details.
- Click Create Task when you are done.
Your task will show up in your BasicOps account under the Project you've selected or the Independent Task list if no project was selected.
Creating a task by Slack
If your team uses Slack to communicate, your BasicOps administrator can integrate Slack with BasicOps so that you can add a task from Slack. Only your BasicOps administrator can set up the integration with Slack. To learn how to set up the Slack integration, visit Integrating with Slack.
- Go to the Slack messaging box.
- Enter /basicops help and press enter. A list of commands will be displayed.
- Use the slash commands or the buttons to create tasks or link projects.
Tip: When assigning a task from Slack, be sure the assignee has a Slack account. You can assign a task to any team member with a Slack account.